February 9, 2012

a happy little munchkin


This little girl has been camped out at my work quite a bit recently. One of my colleagues is looking after Ruby here, and I've been meaning to bring my camera in to work for weeks.

And finally, after quite a bit of nervous fidgeting from the subject, and cursing of slow reflexes on my part, Ruby struck a pose and held it for the fraction of a second it took to snap this one.

For the record, Ruby is a Tasmanian Pademelon (Thylogale billardierii), endemic to Tasmania. Quite a common beastie in forests, scrublands, and basically anywhere else you'll find open areas for feeding, and covered areas for shelter. They generally eat grass, but I'm reliably informed that Ruby here is partial to a bit of sweet potato when she can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment