November 28, 2011

Lots of water in the Gorge


This was taken a few months ago, when the Cataract Gorge was in one of it's infrequent flooding phases. It's happened quite a few times in recent years, thanks to some heavy rains in the north-east (the headwater of both the North and South Esk Rivers).

If memory serves correct, in this instance residents of Invermay (a former swamp barely above sea level) were told to be prepared in case the city's flood levees failed. In the end, it was a bit of a fizzer, but I assume it was a bloody relief for those living in Invermay.

3 comments:

  1. A real sense of movement in the water here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou all!

    Glad to be back into daily photo blogging, gives me an excuse to look more closely at my home town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walked up there during my only ever visit to Launceston in 2005. Took me a while to figure out why I feel like a fish out of water. It felt (and looked) as though I was behing JWH's white picket fence. I felt better once I realised that ...

    ReplyDelete